Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rings and Things

A while ago, I came across a very interesting article discussing purity rings and the statement "true love waits." To sum up, the girl writing the article said she stopped wearing her purity ring bearing the phrase "true love waits. She did this because we shouldn't be waiting around for a love and for a husband, but actively perusing God on our own because His love is the greatest reward. (Here's the link. I think it's worth a read: http://gracefortheroad.com/2012/02/03/idontwait/). I really appreciate this article and followed suit by removing my own ring which I honestly always felt was a little cheesy anyway. I've never really considered sexual impurity as a problem for me, but recently I started wearing my purity ring again. This isn't because I find myself overwhelmed with lust, but because I find myself constantly giving way to crude joking. It's honestly really embarrassing, but especially with the media and being on a college campus, innuendo has become a big part of my sense of humor. And sometimes it's not even innuendo, but blatantly sexual humor. It makes me feel unladylike, gross, tasteless, and awkward. Also, stupid, like I'm not clever enough to come up with a joke more classy than sex. So I've started wearing my ring again: not for the phrase "true love waits," but as a reminder to prevent myself from saying ugly things and to keep my thoughts and words pure.


1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great reason to begin wearing it again. Sexual purity is not simply physical but emotional, cognitive and verbal as well. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete